Monday, April 26, 2010

Proofread aloud and give your writing time to rest

by Al Portner

Recently, I went to a seminar on social networking. The speaker was chatting about the process they use to blog. Honestly, it made me kind of shudder.

This person said that she types her thoughts directly into the blog format and clicks the send button. Let me put it bluntly. I ain't that good. And odds are... neither you nor she is that good either.

My head works faster than my fingers. The idea I'm trying to express is formed pretty quickly, but the expression of that idea takes a while. I can't tell you how many times I've allowed something to spew forth in an email and then reread it later. How (I wonder) could I have been dumb enough to make one or another common mistake?

I have some bad habits and I bet you do too. Mine include typing "you" when I meant "your," using the same word too often, using the world "also," using indefinite pronouns without clear references. Do you habitually make any of these errors? How about similar ones? Do you switch verb tenses in a series?

I have found that when I try to edit a piece directly after writing the rough copy, I tend to read back what I think I wrote rather than the words on the paper or screen. On the other hand, if I let the copy sit for a few hours or until the next day, I am much more likely to spot silly errors.

It has been recommended that you final proofread your copy aloud and with someone else present. While not always possible, reading aloud for proofing purposes is a great idea.

Remember, anything you put up on the web or send to a business associate lives forever. It will serve your reputation well to give your writing the respect and attention it deserves.


Al Portner's "The Assignment Desk, LLC" provides
creatives staffing for all your company's projects.
TAD offers prevetted writers, phtographers,
and graphic designers.
Read Al's Columns on Public Policy at

No comments:

Post a Comment